Sunday, November 15

Does your job reward you instantly?


As an actor, just starting in this business, I find that most people (who aren't actors) don't understand how acting works. Or rather... that they have a vague and (usually) small minded view of what I have chosen to be my life's career. They usually asks questions like:

Question: Have I seen you in anything?

Question: Do you like [insert famous actor's name here]?
Do you think you'll want to work with them?

Question: Do you really think you'll get Famous?

The list goes on and on........ and on... and on...
As a non-union actor (for now...), without an agent (for now...), I find that the questions get worse, as you answer them:

Question: Do you have an agent/manager?
Fiesty Actress: No. Not yet.

Question: Why not? Are you not good?

Fiesty Actress: [insert look of surprise and confusion here]
Question: Well...?

Fiesty Actress: Well--
Question: (interjecting)Well... if you're Good... [incredulous look]
why don't you have an agent/manager?
To be honest, I never have thought of myself as a good or bad actor. I think about portraying as much truth or as much of the character as I can. I think we grow as we get older or as we experience more things. Like every person on this earth, I pat myself on the back when I get good reviews or acclaim or praise from anyone that isn't the person I see in the mirror, but I try to not boost my ego with statements of grandeur. But in those types of situations, what am I supposed to say?

Fictional Answer: ACTUALLY... I'm a horrible actress and that's why people who have NEVER seen me act don't want to come to my shows, and foster my career. They can just smell it.

NO! You small minded pricks. It takes so much to get someone, especially an agent or manager to come and see you perform. And even harder to get an acting job for them to come see. Can you imagine? On top of that, most castings are geared towards Caucasian men and women. (It's True.) Don't get me wrong! I applaud my paler skinned compatriots, but I frown on the small minded casting options.
So IMAGINE. You are me.
I'm already a minority, and the castings are also few and far between.
It's work. And can you believe it, I love the work.

But YOU... yes, you! who ask me stupid questions about acting...
What are you at your job? Are you the most famous garbage man in NYC? Are you the head of all garbage men? Or you.... yes, you! Lady at the reception desk of the Yoga Studio... Do you have people calling you just to know that you are the most best receptionist at a yoga studio? When you answer the phone, do you immediately get another phone call because you answered that phone so well the first time? I DON'T THINK SO!

How do you think most people got to be "Famous"? WORK! or Sex, which is also work. Just ask these workers.

For all the actors reading this... Do you act because you love it?
Because any job that you love makes you want to work that much more.
If you don't... Hunny! what makes you happy?

1 comment:

  1. new acquaintance: oh, and what do you do?
    me: well, i work for an architect and im getting my masters in library science.
    NA: OMG, YOU LOVE BOOKS, RIGHT? WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE? I BET YOU READ ALL THE TIME! I JUST FINISHED LAST MONTH'S PICK IN OPRAH'S BOOKCLUB! IT WAS GREAT, YOU SHOULD GET IT!
    me: uh, actually, i spend a lot of time talking about XML syntax in different metadata standards and Library of Congress Subject Headings.
    NA: oh...interesting. (wanders away)

    ReplyDelete