Friday, February 18

Black History Moment

Today on the train, I was reading UTA HAGEN's "THE CHALLENGE FOR THE ACTOR" when I stumbled upon this bit of text:


"Read about the young American, born in New York City in 1807, who fell in love with the theatre while attending performances sitting at the rear of the balcony and, realizing he would not be allowed to perform in fine plays in the United States, reversed the trend by going to England to make a career. He became one of the greatest tragedians of his generation and was eventually decorated by all the crowned heads of Europe for his portrayals of characters like Lear, Shylock, and Othello. In 1867 he died on tour in Lodz, Poland, where he was buried as an honored artist.
His name was Ira Aldridge- and he was black."


*The Challenge for the Actor, Uta Hagen. Scribner: New York © 1991.

Needless to say... I started crying. I just had a BLACK HISTORY MOMENT.

Wiki this man. Just do it.

This is the reason why I do the things I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment